Wednesday, March 09, 2005

 

Looking for the programme

This evening, we saw Ma, contemporary dance at the Playhouse.

As my mind wandered onto the ten or eleventh different thing, it made me realise how important meaning and narrative are to me. One the few occasions I've seen plays in foreign languages, opera or ballet, I'm the one squinting into my lap at the programme every ten minutes to try and keep up with what's happening in the story. In the absence of a narrative, an apparent point, I just get distracted.

At one point in Ma, they started saying a few words and I felt a surge of hope that it would start to make sense, but it was short-lived.

The movement and the music actually made me sit up and smile with delight quite frequently, but I felt there was something missing. Makes me feel ignorant to say it, but there we are. The programme didn't help either.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?