Wednesday, March 09, 2005

 

Staggering

Twice this evening I have had a strong and unfamiliar feeling. So stong that I'm actually writing a post after a 3 month gap.

First, astonishment. It's not exactly infrequently that we hear shocking news in the media, but I'm used to it making me feel weary and sad. Today's news that the IRA have offered to SHOOT the men responsible for Robert McCartney's killing made me shout at the TV and even laugh. It was so unbelievable, how else could you react? What on this earth are they THINKING? The sheer mismatch of this response to everything ANYBODY finds reasonable or moral was staggering.

Second, disgust. I will never eat an unfree-range chicken again. I have said this many times before, meant it and then tucked into a satay chicken at the Oxford Thai in a little denial-bubble. This time, however, I really hope to mean it. Every time I want to weaken I will bring to mind the BrightCoop web site. So how did I imagine that they caught and killed chickens in huge barns?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?