Thursday, August 11, 2005

 

No fear

Last weekend we went to Coed-y-Brenin's man-made mountain biking trails with all the cycling gang for J's 40th. We were last there two years ago (the weekend my brand new car became forever known as the 'minging people carrier'*)

This time the trails were strangely easier. I remember severe adrenaline, triumph and trickiness, bruises and terror. I rode several of the obstacles with my eyes shut in panic and yelped often. None of that now; it was just a pleasant ride with a few fun challenges. I guess that's progress!

Plenty of people criticise man-made trails for lacking real challenge and I've never got it. What's wrong with a trail especially designed for skill testing and thrills? Coed-y-Brenin following so closely after the Lake District showed me what they mean. If you know the trail is all rideable, because it's been built to be ridden, there's less of a puzzle and it's that high speed, seat-of-your-pants puzzle that makes it all worthwhile.

*D arrived and said, "it's a minging people carrier!", at least that's what I miserably thought all weekend. She actually called it a 'mini people carrier', I discovered later. Everyone was entertained.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?